Director of Bands and Orchestra
- Faculty - Arts & Letters - Faculty - Music
- Hanover, IN, USA
- Full Time
The Music Department at Hanover College invites applications for a Director of Bands and Orchestra with an appointment of Instructor or Assistant Professor beginning August 2023. A commitment to undergraduate teaching within a small college environment is essential. The College currently offers concert band, orchestra, and small instrumental ensembles to its 1,000 undergraduate students.
Hanover specifically seeks candidates to teach primarily non-majors in its ensembles, instrumental lessons, and music theory courses. Primary responsibilities include building and maintaining a strong instrumental program (e.g., recruiting) and providing excellent music instruction of a wide variety of musical styles and traditions. Responsibilities also include collaboration with the choral director and teaching music appreciation and other electives, depending on the candidate's qualifications and departmental needs. Funding is available for professional development and research with undergraduate students.
The College seek a music educator who is dedicated to:
- Excellence in teaching and working with students to improve their musicianship;
- Active engagement in the recruitment of instrumental musicians;
- Being an outstanding, motivating, and versatile director, musician, and pedagogue;
- Ideals of equity and diversity, employing inclusive pedagogy and valuing diversity of student identities, scholarship, learning and creative performance;
- A student-centered, small campus environment and appreciative of the value of a liberal arts education; and,
- Working collaboratively with others and building community.
- M.A./M.M. in music or music education
- Evidence of excellent instrumental ensemble direction
- Record of success in recruitment and/or high school band collaborations in Indiana, Kentucky, and Ohio
- Collaborations between choral and instrumental ensembles
- Ph.D., Ed.D, D.M., or DMA degree, making the candidate eligible for a tenure-track appointment
Review of applications begins on December 1, 2022 and continues until the position is filled. Electronic applications should include application letter addressing qualifications, curriculum vita, contact information for three professional references, and copies of transcripts. Questions may be addressed to Dr. Madlen Batchvarova, Chair, Music Search at firstname.lastname@example.org. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply. To apply and upload documents, visit https://hanover.hirecentric.com/jobsearch/. For more information, see https://www.hanover.edu/about/employment.
About Hanover College
Hanover College is a premier, nationally recognized liberal arts institution that has core strengths in the natural and life sciences, education, and business. Founded in 1827, Hanover is Indiana's oldest private, four-year college and sits on a beautiful 650-acre campus overlooking the Ohio River. Hanover is a distinctive intellectual, challenging, and supportive community whose members value transformative learning, meaningful service, and lifelong inquiry. The College's students are encouraged to take responsibility for their learning and lives and nurtured to develop each individual's unique abilities to their highest level. Nearly 100 percent of Hanover's students receive some form of financial aid. More than 99 percent of the College's graduates gain full-time employment or enroll in graduate/professional school within seven months of graduation.
Hanover College is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing an inclusive, welcoming, and diverse college environment. We seek candidates of all backgrounds regardless of age, race, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, marital status, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status. No person, on the basis of protected status, shall be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to unlawful discrimination, harassment, or retaliation under any College program or activity, including with respect to employment terms and conditions. We embrace diversity and encourage all who are interested to apply.